New Wave Swim Buoy - Large (20 Liter) w/ Drybag - PVC Fluo Green (Fluorescent Green)
New Wave Open Water Swim Buoy provides:
- Visibility in Open Water. The brightly-colored New Wave Swim Buoy is exceptionally noticeable to boaters, jet skis, paddlers, surfers and some say, can be visible from space. Improve your visibility to avoid getting decapitated by a jet ski or a speed boat. Swimmers in black wetsuits are virtually invisible in the open water - New Wave Swim Buoy will display your prominently in the murky waters of the Loch Ness Lake - even the Loch Ness Monster will not confuse you for a tasty harbor seal or scrumptious sea cow or manatee.
- Safe Place to Float and Rest. Because of the natural buoyancy, the New Wave Swim buoy can be used as a flotation device. You have reassurance that in case you cramp up or simply need rest, you are able to grab the float.
- Very light to bring with you on a paddleboard or kayak trip. While the New Wave Swim Buoy does not replace personal floatation device (PFD) or a swim life vest, widely used by kayakers and standup paddle boarders (SUP's), the New Wave Swim Buoy is very lightweight (only 10 oz) to bring along for a refreshing swim workout in the open water. Add a bike blinker inside the float and your aqua-visibility quadruples or maybe even quintuples!
- Storage of Personal Items. The New Wave Swim Buoy is useful in point to point swims. Fastened to your waist by a belt with a tether line, the New Wave Swim Buoy has a storage compartment that is separate from the Inflatable Air Chamber. What do our athletes put in the buoy? Sunglasses, sunscreen, body glide, extra cap and goggles, running shoes, socks and clothes, diving mask, snorkel, camera, water shoes, iPod, book, snacks, water, gels, cash, credit cards, insurance card, car keys, cell phone, heart-rate monitor, asthma inhaler or allergy medicine, survival kit or a first-aid medical kit, and this list can go on. What would you take with you on a water-journey?
- Improved Monitoring of Athletes. If you want to keep an eye on your buddies or loved ones, or make sure that other swimmers are still in the race, spectators, officials, and lifeguards alike will appreciate the ability to see the swimmers from afar. If you put your cell phone in a Ziploc bag (just in case water was to get into the storage compartment), you can have your phone sharing your GPS location via MapMyRun or RunKeeper or Garmin Connect apps too to track exactly how far you swam AND to broadcast your location in the water for your friends to monitor the progress of your swim remotely.
Dimensions for Large (25" x 12")
Suggested for safer swimmers over 190 pounds or for those who want to carry more gear.
How to Use the Drybag:
Why Swim with a Buoy?
If you are an avid ocean, sea, lake, pond or river swimmer, we strongly encourage you to check out this safety device – New Wave Swim Buoy - as you never know what currents, cramps or other irregularities could occur during your open water swim. Instead of your child using the arm floaties or a kickboard where they will have a horrible positioning of their body for swimming, they could use the New Wave Swim Buoy and thus have a backup solution if they need to take a rest. Just strap the safety product around your waist and get yourself lost in the wonders of the underwater world. Swim trekking, island hopping, open-water orienteering- even if you are an advanced swimmer who is pushing the possibilities of the sport of swimming, taking with you the New Wave Swim Buoy is always a good idea.
Frequently asked question:
- Medium-15L (23" x 10") is suggested for swimmers up to 190 pounds.
- Large-20L (25" x 12") is suggested for swimmers over 190 pounds, or for those who want to carry more gear.
Ligereza y muy fácil de hinchar, la. Visibilidad de lejos es extraordinaria. Excelente boya.
Great product I feel much better having it as I do alot of open water ocean swimming at hammonasset beach in CT and at Marconi beach in Wellfleet on cape cod which is on the Atlantic and is rough water. The lifeguards can easily see me. People ask me about it all the time and I then give the rundown. My last purchase was the 20L yellow one and you were nice enough. to include a swim cap and waterproof pouch for free I believe.
Overall I am very satisfied with the Swim Buoy. It has a sturdy feel and seems to be of high quality. I expect it to last several seasons at least. You can find cheaper swim buoys on Amazon, but I have no regrets about spending a bit extra after feeling the quality of the New Wave. Additionally, it ships with a few nice extras such as a waterproof phone case, key float, and a hook to hang the buoy for drying (I think that's what it's for 😂). The fluorescent green buoy is also highly visible.
I give it 4 stars because I have had a few challenges with the belt. I really roll onto my sides when I swim. I find the tether from the belt to the buoy tends to "knock" against the sizing clips on the belt. One workaround is to lengthen the adjustable tether. This is a minor issue, but it took some fiddling for me to get it right. Perhaps some more detailed fitting instructions could be helpful here.
I coach new triathletes during the summer, and this is one thing I require all my althetes to use during our group swims. Both the added visibility and knowing they can safely float if they need makes me so much more confident with a group in the water.
This swim buoy is large, can hold my keys, and feels very trustworthy when taking a float-break while swimming in lakes!